4 Signs of Mold Growth in a Home

signs of mold

Mold may appear minor, but if ignored, it can lead to property damage and health issues. Flourishing in damp and poorly ventilated areas, mold can contaminate the air in your living spaces. As a homeowner, it’s important to know the signs of mold and act promptly if discovered. Here are four common indicators of mold growth in your home.

Common Signs of Mold

1. Unpleasant Odors

A musty odor is one of the signs that mold may be a problem in your home. The smell is unpleasant, and most people associate it with a damp environment. If you notice a musty odor, thoroughly examine your home. If you locate the source of the odor, dry the area thoroughly and clean it with a solution to kill the mold and prevent the spread of spores.

2. Water Damage

Water damage creates a breeding ground for mold, especially if the dampness isn’t addressed immediately. If you notice areas of moisture damage, have them repaired as soon as possible. Check the walls, ceilings, and floors for water stains, discolorations, soft or weakened wood, and other signs of damage. If you find issues, hire a professional to repair leaks and dry these areas. Ignoring water issues will lead to long-term problems like structural damage and mold growth, which can be costly.

3. Respiratory Issues are Signs of Mold in a Home

One of the side effects of mold growth is respiratory problems. These symptoms are often severe for people with asthma, allergies, or weakened immune systems. If you or a family member start experiencing respiratory issues like coughing, wheezing, or a runny nose, it could signify that mold is present, especially if the symptoms clear up upon leaving the house. Have a professional test your home for mold and take the necessary steps to remove it.

4. Visible Mold

One of the most obvious signs of mold is visible growth in your home. Mold often appears as black, brown, or green spots (though the growth may be almost any color) on walls, furniture, ceilings, and floors. If you see visible mold, take action immediately. Proper removal of mold, especially extensive areas, can be difficult and requires a professional. Avoid cleaning large areas of mold growth on your own because it increases the risk of spreading spores and causing health problems for you and your family.

These are a few of the signs mold is present in your home. It is important to stay vigilant and take preventative measures to keep it under control. Regular inspections, repairing water damage, and hiring a professional to remove mold will keep your living spaces mold-free. Mold is a health and safety concern, so take it seriously. Pay attention to signs of a problem and take action to remove mold growth and manage moisture in the home.

PRIME Home Inspections offers inspections to homebuyers and sellers in western Washington state. Contact us to schedule an appointment for our services.